Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Moving Day Troubles

Ok, so I finished the last post typing, "Pictures to follow tomorrow". Pictures did not follow tomorrow and I'll explain, but be advised I'm typing with frustrated finger strokes and scowling face - just picture Mr. Potato Head with his angry eyes and you'll get the picture.

Moving day was supposed to be Tuesday the 11th of December. I was hoping the guy would be in before noon, but noon came and went. I called the shipping broker - "Oh, he hasn't called you yet? That's strange. Let me call him (ring, ring....). Not picking up. I'll leave a message...."Great. Good sign.

The guy calls me after 3pm to tell me he's not going to make it today - good thing I didn't take off work for this nonsense, but he can be here on Wednesday or maybe Thursday - "What are you doing Thursday", he asks me and can I pretty much be available any time he wants to come to my house he wonders. Great. I happen to be off with my newborn, but this is nonsense. Glad I'm not working because this is just plain poor management, lucky for me I'm not paying for this service - oh wait, I am paying for this ridiculously, terrible service. He and I talk for a few more minutes to confirm that he is a poor planner and I am the one who has to live with it. I confirm that he knows my truck does not run and he will need a trailer with a winch - cue the dark ominous tones...

"What? They didn't tell me your truck doesn't run! I can't pick it up. They're going to have to schedule someone else to pick it up." Good thing I'm not paying for this terrible, poor-excuse-for-professionalism, service. Oh wait, I am paying for this terrible, poor-excuse-for-professionalism, service.

All ready for shipping
I pulled it out of the garage the night before in preparation for getting it into position near my neighbor's house
We can get you another truck by the weekend, I'm told. Great. I only have my truck parked in front of my neighbor's house, I'm sure he won't mind having my truck outside his dining room window for an undermined amount of time. I can't move the truck back to my house because my driveway's on a hill. Great! I'm so excited that your company is incapable of providing a timely service. Good thing I'm not paying for this terrible, poor-excuse-for-professionalism, service... you get it by now. I'm less than satisfied with my customer experience at this point.

The shop where I was shipping the truck - the shop that shall not be named as it will be referenced from this point forward, was expecting the truck on Thursday. I wanted to contact them to tell them of the delay, but not until I had an ETA. When Thursday came and I still didn't have an ETA, I decided to just drop a short email. I sent the email late afternoon, so I didn't expect a response on the same day.

Friday morning - cue the dark ominous tones, again...
My response email from the company that shall not be named stated that they will not be able to do my engine install... That was it. I initiated conversation with the company that shall not be named in March. I would bet that I've exchanged 30-50 emails with the company that shall not be named. I would bet that I've had 15-20 phone conversations with the company that shall not be named. My truck was supposed to arrive on 12/13. On 12/14 I am informed that they will not perform my engine install - via email. Let me spell it E-M-A-I-L. They tell me by email that my plans to have them do the work wasn't going to happen. They tell me by email that the build that we had discussed and discussed that they accepted was not going to happen. They told me by email?! The email didn't explain why - nothing. They're not going to do it and that's it. Email. They sent an email. Completely unprofessional. Utterly irresponsible. Embarrassing business practice. Email?

At this point they did me a favor. Any company that fails to realize that I am the one who pays for the lights - I am the one who pays for the insurance - I am the one who puts braces on their kid's thumb-sucking-teeth - me - the customer - you work for me - you are a dancing monkey on a street that I'll drop some shiny coins into your top hat after you've entertained me with your freak show - any company that fails to consider that it is the respect of the customer that shall be, at all times, reaching towards -  will die and likely by their own sword - it won't be pretty, but I'll do my best to suffer through the show. He told me by email. Classy.

Good thing I'm not paying for service from the company that shall not be named - oh wait, I had already spent $1,700 in parts that they had in their shop! The brief email stated that they needed to ship my parts to me, but there was no mention as to who was expected to pay for this shipment - remember they thought it best to communicate this information to me by email.

Immediately I called the office. Voicemail. Five minutes later I called again. Voicemail. I then replied to his email - asking him to call me immediately so that I may understand what is going on and what I can do to get my parts and so I can just figure out what the hell was happening. He replied in about 3 minutes - we're closed on Fridays, he responded. Classy. Responsible. Good business. "We're closed on Fridays". I'm still struck by how lemonade-stand-in-a-subdivision-on-a-weekend this company is operated. "We're closed Fridays"? Who's closed Friday?

A number of emails later, he says that he'll attempt to call me quickly - it was 11:45am. He called me at 16:30ish or about 5hrs later and later at 20:40. At least he tried getting in touch with me - something he should've done before sending the first email. I missed the calls. I have a 2wk old daughter. I missed the call. I was so upset I was trying to stay away from the phone. Silly me, I believed him when he said he would try to call me very soon - 5hrs later he called - nonsense. Later email exchanges he said to just call on Saturday anytime.

Saturday morning
I call him at 9am - nothing, 5.5hrs later I call him again - nothing. Later he returns my call. Nonsense. All nonsense. He did offer to pay me for the items I'd purchased and shipped to them or to pay for shipping where ever I wanted. A bit of silver lining for all the bullshit. Hum...

The motor I purchased had waayy more miles than I initially thought - thank you Carfax, too bad I didn't look at it beforehand. I probably paid too much for the stuff too. Hum... Should I cash out or should I pay a ton of money to have a 28 year old, underpowered, motor into my project - doesn't make much sense any more. How did it make sense, ever? This nonsense could be a huge blessing. I could get a fresh start.

I cashed out, but now what to do? What motor should I have installed? Where should I go to have the work done? Where to go? What to do? I'd wanted to install a diesel for so long, but getting one licensed in Colorado is extremely restrictive. What to do?




No comments:

Post a Comment