Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Face Shield

I am a magician. I removed 22 bolts from the oil pan last week and my concentration was so great that the pan continued to hover above the ground until this afternoon.

My plan for today was to get that damn pan off the block. My plan of attack was a hand held torch, a piece of 18" 2x4, and a bfh. For those who have not had the, ahem, opportunity to work on the front suspension of anything that's seen 100k miles I'll explain the importance of a bfh. Often you need a bit more muscle than your average 20oz framing hammer. It doesn't matter how hard you whack that ratchet or wrench it ain't gonna move. You, my friend, need a bigger hammer. You need a bfh, figure it out. My 3lb sledge works fine. 

I haven't really put in much time yet on my truck, but so far I've learned a few things and getting the right ppe, or personal protective equipment. I have worked on cars since high school, but never too regularly. I've crawled and shimmied under cars and it wasn't until today that I got myself a face shield. Geez, what a difference the right equipment makes. I always wear my safety glasses, but never have I had a face shield until today. I'd get dirt on my face and in my ears. I'd almost involuntarily lean my head to the side and shake. It hardly ever got the oily dirt out of my ear, it sucked. Today I spent a good 2hrs on my back under my truck, which mind you is far from clean and I am proud to report that my face was just as clean at the end as it was at the beginning. 

I got the oil pan off, but the damn gasket stayed stuck to the block. I had to beat that thing like it stole something. I knew it would stick to one surface, but I was hoping that it'd be the pan. Too bad for me. Sometime in the summer I had ground an edge on my 1" scraper. I would not have been able to get that thing off without it and when I'm in the middle of doing something, the last thing I want to do is prep work, like putting an edge on a scraper. That thing saved my day and more importantly my good mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment