Monday, October 15, 2012

Front-End Troubles

Following the weekend with Jarred and getting the suspension done, I wanted to move on to rebuilding the front-end. My plan, of course, was to finish it over a weekend. Yea right.

My steering wheel transmitted some shimmy from about 45-60mph or more specifically when I could get it up to 60mph which required a nice smooth downhill. The forums suggested that perhaps the shimmy was from either the tie-rod ends, the knuckle bearings, or the tires. The tires will be changed later, but in the meantime a front-end rebuild will handle the other two possibilities.

All the parts laid out for the front-end rebuild - wheel bearings, kunckle bearings, wheels seals, bearing races, birfield seals, gaskets, towels, disc rotors, brass drifts, towels, grease, gloves, towels, seal puller, brake cleaner, and some more towels. 
The passenger side tore down nicely. I put each of the bolts from each section - hub lockouts, hub, knuckle, steering arm, and brakes. All the parts cleaned up nicely. I used my favorite new paint - Rustoleum Grill Paint - flat black and good up to 1200F, which is 600F more than expensive caliper paint, yea, I'm smart.

The passenger side went together with little effort or trouble, but... I failed to realize the old bearing races that needed to be punched out and reinstalled with new ones, so I got to do the tear down all over again. Apparently, my sub conscience was not happy with the efficiency of my work and figured that I would benefit from doing the work all over again. Oh and since I failed to read all my forum-sourced directions, that seems familiar, I got to order new seals. 
Passenger side ready for new paint and bearings/seals. 
I was so clean. The picture must've been taken shortly after I started working that day because I was a mess, a complete mess. 


That wheel sure looks old. What to do, what to do. 
 After figuring out the passenger side the driver side was a breeze. 

The next update - a surprise visitor and a space gets cleared up in my garage: 


No comments:

Post a Comment