Sunday, August 12, 2012

Make sure you read the directions

Before the wife and I left for home for the 4th of July I had a push to get the frame painted. I wire brushed and scraped and rust converted and rinse and repeated a few times over. We're good to go. Angie thought I should paint it in the garage, but I was hesitant. I knew (and still know) that she was right, but I didn't want to have to deal with protecting the garage from overspray, so I decided to spray it outside - it's just the frame, first mistake. It rained on it the day after.

I ended up spraying the frame with some heavy duty anti-rust (one pint of black, one pint of amber (should've read the label perhaps to make sure Eastwood send the right colors)) about an hour before having to finish packing for the flight home. In my rush to spray it, I had ran out of acetone so I had to use mineral spirits - second mistake.

You see, painting it in the garage wouldn't required me to do too much taping. I probably could've gotten all I needed done in less than an hour - an hour I didn't have before getting on the plane. And acetone is used to clean the metal of all dirt, dust, and grease before painting. Mineral spirits is good for grease, dirt, and dust, but it doesn't vaporize like acetone, it stays on the metal. I wiped the frame and left it sit in the sun for a good 15mins, ah that's good enough, besides I've still got some underwear to pack for the trip home. We're good. No worries. I don't need to put it in the garage and I can use mineral spirits.

So where did it go wrong? Let's see, it rained the next day for one. When we got back 4 days later the paint was still tacky to the touch. Damn. Perhaps the mineral spirits was still under the paint and didn't allow the paint to cure. Damn. Good thing mineral spirits takes off paint too. The paint never did cure. I ended up stripping all the paint I had just sprayed, while in the comfort of the garage.

Should've read those paint directions a bit more closely. Oh, so it's supposed to have a clean and DRY surface before spraying. Good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment