Sunday, February 12, 2012

It has begun

Well today was the day that I've been thinking about for a long time. As a graduate student I felt so close to being able to afford a project truck that I was more distracted than focused, go figure. I have always been conservative with my money, so I would not buy something until I felt we could afford it. My other obstacle was getting over my wife's permission. Are you kidding me? I actually get to get one now?

That was back in September '10. I've had dreams and distractions with this thing and now, today, I started turning wrenches. I've got buddies who have projects and I think they're going about the build all wrong. They get parts/equipment/materials and install completely out of order. I understand getting excited and wanting to wrench on it, but not at the expense of having to remove it later when you're rebuilding it.

This is my third vehicle, so I have the luxury of doing it right. I did some minor gasket changing and carb cleaning. I got compression numbers on it, so I can list it for sale on the forum I frequent. I'm really trying to do this right. I cleaned it up alright, but I didn't put any lipstick on the pig though. I don't see any reason to rattle can something with 235k on it. I degreased it. I'll let the next guy spend time on a rebuild and to make it pretty. I'm happy with my progress thus far cleaning it up.

So, back to the progress!

Today, I pulled the front bumper, valence, head light washers, head light buckets, head light trim, parking lights, grill, and horns. I got some cloth baggies for Christmas '10 and finally put them to use. I used a black marker to label the contents and whether the bolts/screws needed to be replaced or if any were missing. It's a pretty good system I think.


I think it's so important to keep track as you go. I know it's fun and it's exciting pulling off parts, but if you just go hog wild you're gonna hit a wall when you lose a part. We've got some space in the basement with some wooden shelves that I already plan to take down in the summer, so it won't matter if they get a bit gummed up. I'm zip-tying things together and labeling each part with driver vs. passenger side with painters masking tape. I'm going to have to get a new grill. The passenger side mounts are busted.
No busted fingers, hands, or knuckles.

The next step will be removing the hood, outer fender, inner fender, and anything else bolted to either one. I sprayed every bolt I could find with PB Blaster. I hate busting bolts that I'll need later.

No comments:

Post a Comment